Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sad goodbyes

Beautiful roses growing in the Houston garden.
White Linen Night in the Heights was so much fun! All my preparations for the party at my clients office came together beautifully with the help of Mr. B and Dr. Mc. Everyone loved the food. Everyone loved the cupcakes and snow cones flavored with Vodka. And everyone loved the live music. Down on 19th Street, which is the heart of the Heights, there were so many people. Jubilee, the fabulous store that sells my up-cycled tin jewelry, was packed. It was so packed with people that I went behind the counter to help write tickets and package merchandise. I love living in this community! It really does have a small town feeling, yet we're only four miles from downtown Houston.

I can't believe it's already time to pack for my return to Santa Fe. I wish I could take Mr. B., Dr. Mc, #1 son-in-law Nick, and Sweetness back with me. Not having them with me is the only thing missing during my summers in the high desert. I miss them and hate saying goodbye to them.

Today I'm creating time to spend with my cousins, Leigh and Susan. Doctor's have given Leigh about a month to live. Although she is at her sister Susan's home now with hospice care, in a very short time Leigh will be in a hospice facility. Leigh and Susan being close in age to me were the closest I had to sisters. Today, after several hours of reminiscing, I could tell Leigh was tired so I took her hand in mine before I left. We used to hold hands and giggle as little girls. Not so today. Leigh said not to be sad because she wasn't in any pain and she was prepared for what was going to happen. We gave each other a big hug while tears rolled down our checks. I was very sad, but if today was the last time I see Leigh alive I'm glad that the final words we said to one another were I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment