Wednesday, September 21, 2011

September 21, 2011

Flowers for the event tonight.
Shout out today to my friend Ms. Viki who taught me how to arrange event flowers on a budget. Viki lived about two blocks away for many years, until she and her husband John decided (without my permission) to sell their home and move to Seattle. I smile every time I drive past their old house because they are two of the nicest people on the planet. As many times as I volunteered to chair something, Viki would help me with floral arrangements, and since most of the time I was working pro bono for nonprofit organizations, there was never a budget for flowers. But Ms. Viki always came through with something special.

This evening is the event I've organized with the help of the Bayou City Arts Festival staff. I made eight table arrangements (see photo) for less than $60. Recycled glass vases from Arne's, flowers and berries from a flower/plant drive-up on Durham, and finally ginger leaves (lining the inside of vases), stems from boxwood plants, and bachelor buttons from the yard. Ta dah ... arrangements for about $7.25 each.

Today I'm creating the final touches to tonight's event and following up on my meeting last night about the event I'm chairing on October 25. I'll probably save money by doing the table arrangements myself for the October event. Miss you Viki!

No comments:

Post a Comment