Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 18, 2013

Ay carumba! This tin is covered with The Simpsons'
characters. I can't wait to make fun jewelry out of it.
This past spring (?) I bought two new chairs for the casita. They are overstuffed swivel rockers that are fully upholstered in red toile. For about the past two hours I've been rocking in one with my legs and feet propped on the other. The windows are open and the cross ventilation is terrific. I'm so comfortable I think I could nap here, if my mind wasn't going 90 MPH.

So far today I've written a letter and postcard for a client. I've washed two loads of clothes and am getting ready to wash my sheet next. My little TV tray is filled with jewelry that I've designed and now need to put together. And I've dusted the house. It's a great day in Santa Fe!

Today I'm creating ideas for an event. Many years ago, when I first opened my freelance business, I met with a man who was interested in a marketing campaign. As had been my my practice, I met with him to discuss his needs and then had a follow-up meeting to present him with three concepts and an estimate for what it would costs to implement each of them. He had a fit and refused to pay for "concepts." I tried to explain to him that was part of the services he was receiving from me, but he was too clueless to understand. Of course he should pay for creative ideas when he was hiring me to produce a marketing campaign. I didn't work for that man, but learned a very valuable lesson. After that experience, I learned to show examples of prior work first, then provide an estimate for the needed services, and finally present concepts only after the estimate was approved and a deposit was made. I wasn't going to give ideas/concepts away again!

No comments:

Post a Comment