Saturday, July 27, 2013

Hola, Spanish Market

Street scenes from the Spanish Market.
This weekend is the Spanish Market around the Santa Fe Plaza. The Traditional Spanish Market began 62 years ago. Twenty-seven years ago, a group broke off and formed the Contemporary Hispanic Market, which is held at the same time on different downtown streets. The two markets actually compliment each other. One market honors and reflects the history and culture of Spanish colonial art while the other showcases modern Hispanic culture and art. I'm not crazy about most of the artwork in either market, but like the Contemporary Hispanic Market better.

Nice market of 135 artists. Nice, but no comparison
to the Bayou City Art Festival.
After the market I did some alfresco dining at a lovely downtown restaurant. My lunch and the weather were perfect! Then I walked into some of my favorite downtown stores, all of which claimed to be having sales. Ha! I walked out of every store without anything new. Good for me! Especially since I bought #1 son-in-law Nick's Christmas present at the Contemporary Hispanic Market. Cool!

Today I'm creating nothing. I've taken the day off from making jewelry, pillows and handbags. I did, however, take a nap with the fluffy little dogs when I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment