Sunday, July 14, 2013

July 14, 2013

On my to-do list for today was going to The Flea market to look for tins, as well as going to Art Santa Fe to look at artwork from around the world. However, considering the amount of money I spent yesterday at the International Folk Art Festival, I decided to stay home and avoid the temptation to spend more money.
Fun bags!

Speaking of the International Folk Art Festival, today's pic-of-the-day is of two bags I bought yesterday. A group of 25 Dominican women have gathered since 2005 to transform used plastic shopping bags into these fun totes. The sale of these bags helps support the women and their families, including educational programs. These women come from La Colonia, a struggling neighborhood in Cotui, Dominican Republic. Each bag was tagged with the name of the woman who made it. When I bought the bags I was given a photo of the women who made one I bought.

Today I'm creating tin jewelry, as well as a greater appreciation for struggles of all the artisans who took part in the folk art festival. After reading a card about the bags, I wish I had bought three instead of two. The sale of three bags feeds a family for a week or sends a child to school for a year. For that matter, I wish I had bought six or nine or 12 bags. I know my friends would love to receive them and I would enjoy further supporting such a worthwhile group effort! 

No comments:

Post a Comment