Friday, July 12, 2013

July 12, 2013

Cool new tins.
It's Friday night and I just made myself a cocktail. I had a great day that began with washing two loads of clothes. Then I went downtown to walk around. By accident, I walked into Collected Works Bookstore & Coffeehouse just as a lecture by Patricia Stoddard started. She talked and showed slides of a fascinating quilting tradition found in southern Pakistan and neighboring western India. These quilts, called ralli, are stunning in their designs, brilliant in their colors, and intriguing in their history. The designs, which include patchwork, appliqué  and embroidered styles, are reminiscent of motifs found on painted pottery from the ancient civilizations of the area. She is sponsoring a group of women from Pakistan at the folk art festival tomorrow. I can't wait to see the textiles. She has also written a book, which I hope I can get tomorrow and have her autograph. 

Next I went to a resale shop and actually found a tin canister (see the pic-of-the-day). The cracker jack canister in the picture will provide great images for my up-cycled jewelry. Then I had lunch at a French bakery in town before having a pedicure and finally heading home to the doggies. 

Today I'm creating tin jewelry. I came home from my in-town travels and cut out several canisters. I'm constantly looking for different canisters so use for my jewelry. I'm going to Houston at the end of next week for a couple of days. Actually, Mr. B and I are going to Galveston where I have never looked for tins. Oh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment