Sunday, March 31, 2013

March 31, 2013

Growing up, we often spent Easter Sunday in Bryan, TX, with my grandparents. I've written about my grandfather being co-owner with his older brother of a men's clothing store in downtown Bryan. Because of his work schedule, it was always hard for him and my grandmother to travel. Daddy was used to driving all over the state, so it was nothing for us to get in the car on Friday after he got home from work and drive to Bryan. (The first stop in my grandparents' house after hugs was always the cookie jar. My grandmother made the most wonderful almond cookies for us.)

The only thing that sticks out in my memory about Easter in Bryan is going to Calvary Baptist Church, usually in a new dress and white shoes. The invitational hymn at the end of the service was always the same on Easter Sunday, and I love the song: "He Lives." I could hear my grandfather singing the lyrics no matter if he was sitting with the family or at the back of the church.


I serve a risen Savior, He's in the world today;
I know that He is living whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer,
And just the time I need Him, He's always near. 

He lives, He lives,
Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way.
He lives, He lives,
Salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart.

Today I'm creating time for breakfast with Mr. B. We had a lovely brunch at Zelko Bistro. I'm still full 1.5 hours after getting home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment