Sunday, February 24, 2013

February 24, 2013

Another productive day. LOVE it.

I spent most of the day setting up for the Houston Heights Association's Volunteer and Awards Dinner. I'm so competitive that I had to make sure that the table Mr. B and I sponsored was the most fabulous. And, of course, it was. We had great friends sitting with us, which made the evening even more special. My most difficult part of the evening was giving a three-minute talk about my friend and long-time Houston Heights resident Neva Batterson Dupuis who died in December 2012. I spoke from my heart, with no script, and stuck to my time limit. I'm most proud that I fought back my tears and completed my three minutes without having to pull the handkerchief I had tucked in my pocket. At the very end, I was taking deep breaths and looking up to the ceiling to abate my tears. My hope is that sweet Neva was looking down as I spoke and was pleased with what I said.

Today I'm creating a candy bar (see the pick-of-the-day). Usually the take away for this event is a small potted plant that dies within a few days. So I suggested that we do a candy bar tonight. Very popular. And thanks to #1-son-in-law Nick for the fabulous musical entertainment that he coordinated for tonight. Another first that I suggested and arranged. And another very poplar feature of the night. So much pressure to outdo myself next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment