Monday, August 20, 2012

August 20, 2012

Gardners in Santa Fe like to grow morning glory vines.
Unlike Houston, where you can't get rid of the invasive plant,
in NM the vines freeze in the winter snow.
Here's an example of what it's like to have a casita in New Mexico, where the work ethic is "mañana." I called a plumber this morning to repair the hot water heater. He said he couldn't come because it was raining, but promised to call me back. (Please note that it wasn't raining at my house and even if it was, the hot water heater is inside.) To my surprise, he did call back, but said he couldn't come until around 3 p.m. because he was going to watch a movie. Really? New Mexico is either the poorest or the second poorest state in the U.S. – depending on which report you read – but a plumber postpones or declines work because of rain or an afternoon movie?

I woke up this morning with a headache. This is the second one I've had this month. The good news is that this one is just annoying, unlike my other headache this month that had me searching for a cool, dark, quiet place to crawl into.

Today I'm creating clean clothes, if the hot water heater gets fixed. Last night I made out a list of housecleaning chores I would do each day, even when I return to Houston. Monday: laundry. Tuesday: grocery store. Wednesday: straightening and dusting. Thursday: floors. Friday: kitchen and bathroom(s). One hour per day of housecleaning sounds so much easier than five to six hours on one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment