Thursday, July 26, 2012

July 26, 2012

Santa Fe garden photo.
Dr. Mc emailed me this morning asking about books she liked when she was young, even before she could read. This took me back a few years! When Dr. Mc was born, I had gone back to school to finish my degree. Since I was an English major, I read her lots of heavy literature and poetry while rocking. She never liked napping, but she liked me rocking her and reading in the afternoons. It was mother/daughter bonding time. Tt night before bed she liked Are You My Mother, Pat the Bunny, Go, Dog. Go!, and Dr. Seuss books.


When she began reading on her own, she LOVED everything Dr. Seuss! On Saturday mornings she would get in bed with her dad and me, and read. What she really wanted was for someone to go downstairs, feed her breakfast, and turn on cartoons. As a stalling tactic, so we could get more sleep, her dad and I would tell her to read some first. Her very favorite was Green Eggs and Ham. She would read out loud, asking for prompting every once in a while. For months it was always Green Eggs and Ham. We got so tired of that book. I think we hid it to get her to stop reading it. Then came Cat in the Hat; One Fish, Two Fish, etc; Fox in Sox – everything Dr. Seuss – before she finally moved on the Winnie the Pooh, My Little Pony books, and Strawberry Shortcake books. She always loved her books and I don't remember her ever coloring or drawing in them, as Evan liked to do when she came along. 


Today I'm creating nothing. It's one of the few days in Santa Fe when it's not sunny. Instead it's cloudy and thundering, with a few drops of rain falling now and then. It's a great day for sitting on the portal (porch) and reading silently to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment