Monday, May 28, 2012

May 28, 2012

On the lighter side of Memorial Day, I'd like to celebrate
with these red, white and blue nails.
It will be a quiet day in the Pettit household except for the bombs bursting on television as Mr. B enjoys a day of war movies. I don't know how he can watch the same movies year after year, but it's a ritual that on Memorial Day and D-Day he is glued to the television screen.

I know I've mentioned before how lucky I feel that no member of my family has ever died in a war. My grandfather was too young for WWI, my father was too young for WWII, my brother defended Omaha, Nebraska and SAC headquarters during the end of the Vietnam conflict, and I believe we have only had a volunteer military since my nephew was old enough to be in a war. There were several ancestors in my maternal grandmother's family who fought for the south during the Civil War, but as far as I know none died during the war. This morning, as I watch our American flag gently waving in the breeze, I salute those who sacrificed life and limb for America ... the greatest country in the world!

Today I'm creating another day of rest, thanks to so many who have sacrificed so much! God bless America, and keep us safe and strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment