Sunday, May 27, 2012

May 27, 2012

I had a great time yesterday visiting with family members at cousin Lisa's home. Their outdoor space is spectacular! Nice, cool shaded seating areas with comfy chairs. A large pool for Lisa and husband Nicky's six children and six grandchildren (so far). And a truly wonderful outdoor kitchen where they made pizza. I think I could have eaten an entire pizza myself.

Celebrating family yesterday included my mother's cousin Joan, who is in her mid-80s and my beloved aunt Martha who is in her mid-70s. Then there was my generation of first cousins in our 50s and 40s. Then the second cousins in their 30s and 20s, and their babies, the youngest of which was sweet little Olivia who is just a few months old. Too cute!

Today I'm creating time to rest my foot, but yesterday I made (with the help of Martha and Mr. B) homemade ice cream. Several people wanted the recipe, so here it is, as passed along to me by my mother.

6 eggs separated
2.5 cups sugar
My niece Rebecca used homemade ice cream
to coax her outdoor loving son Wyatt out of
the pool yesterday. He was so exhausted he could
hardly hold his eyes open, but he didn't want
to leave the pool!
2 large cans Pet Evaporated milk
whole milk
2 tablespoons vanilla

Beat egg yokes well. Add sugar and evaporated milk, then vanilla.

Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into egg-yolk mixture.

Pour mixture into freezer canister and add whole milk to bring to one gallon. Place canister in the bucket and alternate layers of ice and rock salt. Let machine run until it stops. You may have to add more ice (read the directions for your ice cream freezer).

I've often been tempted to change the order of mixing, such as beat the egg whites with the sugar and vanilla, as is done when making meringue. And since the eggs aren't cooked, I've thought of adding just a tiny bit of fresh lemon juice to the yolks (the acidity is said to "cook" the yolks). But then I dismount my fancy cooking high horse: Why mess with perfection! Just make the damn ice cream the way my grandmother and mother did for so many years.




No comments:

Post a Comment