Sunday, November 20, 2011

November 20, 2011

The kiva fireplace at Pettita Casita is
back in business.
The colorful hues of my summer garden have given way to dried leaves and stems. Every once in awhile there will be a spot of color: a leaf here and there still green; a cluster of maroon blooms. But mostly the landscape in my adopted city is brown, until I look up to the snow capped mountains. This morning the sun is bright, the sky is full of fluffy white clouds, and the air is crisp with the smokey aroma of wood-burning fireplaces. This is the scene that as a young girl in South Texas, I only read about in books and magazines.

I got up early this morning and had breakfast with a friend from high school. Gary and his partner just returned to Santa Fe from a two month tour of the United Kingdom and Western Europe. I listened quietly to the descriptions of their travels and adventures, especially when Gary talked about visiting peaceful villages, lingering lunches in the Italian countryside, and shopping in crowded marketplaces. Oh, the life!

Today I'm creating aprons. I know, I brought velvet fabrics with me to make totes and clutches, but I need to start on something simple to get reacquainted with the Santa Fe sewing machine. But once started, I'll be like a ball rolling downhill and gaining momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment