Friday, November 11, 2011

November 11, 2011

Hug a veteran!
Happy 11.11.11 and Happy Veteran's Day. Do you say Happy Veteran's Day? One of my uncles, Thomas George Jenkins, was in the Navy during WWII, "the really big one." He had a huge tattoo of an anchor on his forearm and made his daughter's and me promise that we would never get one. Another uncle, R. Clyde Hargrove, D.D.S., was in the military, but not during wartime. And my older brother, T. Bryan Akin, III, defended Omaha, Nebraska at the end of the Vietnam War. I feel lucky that no relative of mine has lost his/her life during a war. I have four great nephews and hope none of them ever have to sacrifice their lives for this country.

Mr. B and I left last night's event with no art in hand, although we did leave with amounts on some bids sheets. Last night was the preview event and Saturday is the public event, so the plan is to go back. Tonight's black-tie event is an art gala where our friends Victoria and Marshal Lightman will be recognized for their contributions to local arts. My heels have gotten higher as the week has gone on, and will top out tonight around 3.5". I'm not sure why I buy heels that high, except they look so beautiful and feel great the one minute I have them on in the store.

Today I'm creating a couple of aprons to have in the outdoor fall festival tomorrow. If you're out and about between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., come by St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (corner of Heights Blvd. and 19th Street) and say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment