Saturday, December 24, 2011

December 24, 2011

Just hours before our Christmas Eve dinner the
tree is decorated and presents are underneath.
The Pettit Christmas tree is finally decorated and the presents are wrapped. In a 100+ year-old home there isn't much extra space, so we always have a tall, skinny tree. Someday I want people to say, "The Pettits have a tall, skinny tree, just like tall, skinny Julie." I'm tall, but haven't been thought of as skinny in many moons. Alas, maybe next year.

This is a time of reflection for me, and I've spent the day thinking that not only did Mr. B and I lose his mother this year, but we lost two friends, as well. Attending our friend Bob's memorial service yesterday left me feeling blue, so my mood matches the rainy, gloomy day in Houston. But the message I was left with yesterday was what a happy person Bob was, and he would want us all to be joyous. Although I may not be feeling peppy right now, I like the expression: Be joyous! So as soon as my pecan pie is out of the oven, I'm going to take a shower and change clothes so I can be joyous before the "kids" get here for dinner and presents.

Today I'm creating a pot roast with veggies for dinner, a pecan pie and a lemon ice box pie. I have so much to be joyous about today and everyday, including the lives of family and friends who live on in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment