Wednesday, August 31, 2011

September 1, 2011


I had a wonderful idea yesterday about turning buttons into brooches that I could use to embellish my bags. I went to the craft store and purchased the brooch backings I needed, as well as a glue gun. I was troubled about having to buy a glue gun for two reasons. First, I have probably a half dozen glue guns in Houston. Second, how have I spent four summers in the casita without a glue gun?


The brooch – made of a large green button with worry dolls
affixed to the top – compliments the colors in the
body of the bag,  as well as the design of the fabric.
It was fun and educational creating the button brooches. I learned that it’s better to work with flat buttons. I had some that rounded up on the edges, so after I glued or sewed the brooch backing to the button, it stood out too far from the purse. Also, if there was a loop on the back of the button, I had to cut it off to get the back as flat as possible. Sometimes I glued or sewed a smaller button on top of a larger one. Sometimes I glued little worry dolls or a stone on top of a large button. Then I pinned the button brooches on about half of the bags and saved the rest to embellish with rhinestone brooches that I have in Houston. I couldn’t get a great picture with my iPhone, so you’ll have to trust me that the brooches are cute as a button (pun intended).

Today I’m creating bags out of wool fabrics. All of the purses I’ve made so far have been out of linen and cotton, but it’s time to switch fabrics and change up the design somewhat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment