Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April 3, 2013

Another auction donation.
You never know what's going to happen, which brings me to the end of my day yesterday. I finished my meeting last night and got home around 8 p.m. Just as soon as I settled in for a quiet evening, the telephone rings. It's Dr. Mc. She tells me that Sweetness has been in an accident and is being taken by a friend to the emergency center on Washington Ave. In a second I'm in the car on my way to get Dr. Mc and head to the emergency center. Sweetness is 24 years old and didn't finish college, so she works at jobs that don't give her enough hours to qualify her for insurance. (Don't get me started on that debacle in our healthcare system!) Anyway, Sweetness couldn't be seen until the emergency center received a $350 deposit, which I paid. After several hours, the diagnosis is that she broke a knuckle on her right hand (luckily she is left handed) AND potentially chipped a bone in her left knee. A cast is put on her right hand/arm, and a brace is put on her left leg that will keep her knee immobilized until I can take her for an MRI. I am devastated! I know Sweetness will recover from her injuries. I'm happy that her injuries are nothing major. But I have no idea much everything is going to cost when someone is uninsured. Needless to say, my quiet evening turned into a sleepless night.

I had errand after errand today and I was pretty much in a daze. One of my last errands was dropping off a donation for the Houston Heights Association's auction at Joan's house. The minute Joan opened the door and saw my face, she asked if I was OK. I sat down in her living room and told her the story. Joan, who was married to a doctor and ran his office for many years, made me feel much better. She told me about some options that I didn't know were available. I left Joan's house feeling much better (thank you, Joan!). I then went to spend some time with Sweetness and check on her. She was mainly sleeping from the pain medication, but it felt good just to sit next to her and listen to her breathing.

Today I'm creating tin earrings and a bracelet (a donation to a breast cancer fundraiser), and I'm also sewing an apron (my final donation to the Houston Heights Association's auction). I'm glad to say that I finished both. The pic-of-the-day is the apron.

No comments:

Post a Comment