Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24, 2013

The doggies having a little nap while I transcribe my
conference call notes. Yes, Rose was snoring.
It's all about family this week. It began on Monday with the remembrance of my mother's birthday. Tuesday was the remembrance of my maternal grandmother's birthday, as well as the celebration of my great niece's birth (Catherine Elizabeth Russell, born April 23, 2013, born at 12:25 p.m.). And today I'm remembering my parents on what would have been their 64th wedding anniversary.

Mother and Daddy were high school sweethearts at Bryan High School. Mother went off the Sam Houston State Teacher's College (as it was known at the time) and Daddy stayed in Bryan to work in his family's clothing store and attend Texas A&M. Mother dropped out of school after a year and a half and moved back to Bryan. Two days after her 20th birthday (Daddy wouldn't turn 20 years old until August), they got in a car with their best couple friends, drove to Hearne and got married on April 24, 1949. I think it was several weeks or a month before they got the nerve to tell their parents they were married. After their confession, they lived with my paternal grandparents until Daddy graduated from A&M. Among the items my paternal grandmother saved and gave to me before she died were newspaper clippings and and napkins from a party that was held for Mother and Daddy in Bryan after the announcement of their wedding. For their 50th wedding anniversary, I had the pieces framed for them. The frame and memorabilia are now among the family photos I have in Houston.

Today I'm creating tin jewelry. It's sunny but cold in Santa Fe this morning. How cold was it last night? Roz and Rose wanted to sun themselves yesterday afternoon, so I put a bowl of water outside for them. This morning when we went out for a short walk, the water in the bowl was frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment