Monday, April 2, 2012

April 2, 2012

Flagstone pavers going down. No more grass!
It's after 5 a.m. and I haven't been to sleep. I've been planning and making lists all night/morning and haven't been able to shut down my brain. Now I have myself so worked up that I'm feeling a tightness in my chest. This is the feeling I get when I'm stressing myself out, so I will now touch my thumbs to my middle fingers, turn my palms upward with my arms loosely at my sides, close my eyes, and make a low humming noise. That's better. Moving on ...

I read a great unattributed quote: To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow. Isn't that the truth! For example, if I believed for a nano second that cataclysmic events will occur on December 21, 2012, do you think I'd support having the yard redone? No sir (comma intentionally omitted for emphasis)! I spit on the notion that when the 5,125-year-long calendar cycle concludes it will be the end of life. Instead, being the optimists that Mr. B and I are (cough, cough), we're rehabbing the yard because we believe that December 22, 2012, will be the beginning of a new era during which we'll undergo positive physical and/or spiritual transformations. I, for one, can't be concerned with predictions of impending doom because that would distract me from more important scientific issues, such as global warming and other environmental changes. Wait a minute! Who wrote this paragraph? I must be sleep deprived to interrupt my daily musings with the mention of biodiversity? Eyes closed. Fingers touching. Palms upward. Arms loose. Repeat low humming noise until I recover my senses. OK. Moving on ...

Today I'm creating time to supervise yard workers. It's Day 6 of the yard project that was only supposed to take four days. If the workers are going to be finished before the rains hit Houston tomorrow, I'm going to have to assume a leadership role in what's happening in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment