Monday, April 16, 2012

April 16, 2012

Fabrics used on a half apron I donated to
the Houston Heights Association's Dinner
and Auction. I love the big print on
one side and the small print on the
other side with the red tie. Cute!
It started raining last night and hasn't stopped. There has been some thunder and lightning, but most of the time it has been just a steady soaking rain, as Mr. B calls it. This is just the type of rain we need in our yard for all the new plants. Wait, I think I hear the plants sighing "oh, yeah."

I couldn't resist buying a piece of artwork at the Houston Heights Association's Dinner and Auction, although Mr. B got mad at me. I contend that I'm supporting our neighborhood organization while he insists I already do enough. Back to the artwork, it's a southwest scene that's perfect for the Santa Fe house. The colors aren't the typical that you think of from the southwest. No bright orange and turquoise, but instead grays, beiges and mauve. The process is one that I'm not familiar with: Batik is an ancient Indonesian process of creating intricate designs on cotton fabric. The picture was produced by repeated applications of hot wax resists, alternated with carefully planned color dyeing. The wax is removed by a dry cleaning process. I know of batik fabric, which must be produced by the same process unless it is massed produced. I'll reframe the artwork and it will look great.

Today I'm creating a clean guest room, or at least I'm starting the process. With the many parties we've had recently, many things have been tossed behind the closed door of the guest room. Time to clear it out and clean it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment