Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 3, 2011

I'm hoping that if I write everything down I'll be able to visualize if I want "form or function" in the very small (10' x 11') third bedroom I'm cleaning and organizing. When completed the room will be a study/reading room. Here I go, stay with me.

The north wall (10' exterior wall) has two large windows with a small amount of wall space on either side. In front of the windows will be a pair of Louis XVI style arm chairs that Mr. B's mother gave him many moons ago. They have dark wood and are upholstered in a brown textured fabric. On the west wall (11') is a half-glass door that leads to the porch. Beside the door and taking up the entire wall is huge, three-door antique armoire. More dark wood. On the south wall (10' interior wall) I'm placing a streamline, but not modern design, love seat with straight wooden legs. The love seat is covered in off-white, semi-nubby linen/canvas. The door to the hallway opens onto the south wall next to the love seat. This leaves the east wall (11'), which has a three-foot door opening. I want to put bookcases on this wall, and herein lies my dilemma.
Shelves depths (top to bottom):
4", 7", 10", 13", 17"

Last night I researched bookcases online, and was torn between two styles. A set of standard bookcases would be functional in that they would hold more, but I'm afraid seven feet of wooden bookcases would be visually heavy in the small room. (I'm not interested in white laminated or painted bookcases.) On the other hand, seven feet of "leaning ladder shelves" on the wall would have a more open form, but wouldn't hold as many books because the top shelves are angled closer to the wall. (See photo.)

OK, this did helped. After mulling it over, I've decided on the leaning ladder shelves. I've picked form over function, which is so opposite of the teachings of my favorite architects/designers (William Morris and Frank Lloyd Wright).

Today I'm creating a room design and reviewing the plans with Mr. B, who may decide he doesn't like my idea. Arghhh!

3 comments: