Friday, July 15, 2011

July 15, 2011

I have a beautiful antique hall tree in Pettita Casita (our home in Santa Fe, NM) that I'm planning to place on consignment this summer while I'm there. The casita is small and so, whenever possible, the furniture has to perform multiple functions. For example, in the back hallway there is a long bench with lots of storage underneath the seat. In the kitchen there is an old painted tall cabinet where we keep bar glasses and liquor. In the guest bedroom, instead of putting a simple table between the twin beds, there is a small four-drawer chest where guests can put their clothes. But the hall tree just stands there unused because everyone comes in the back door. Not practical. So I'm thinking about replacing the hall tree with a small cabinet that has a serving surface and storage. Much more functional, plus we could also use the wall space above the cabinet to hang artwork.

Yesterday I found a small oak cabinet with a big drawer and two doors that will work well in NM, but now I'm wondering if I should buy the piece in Houston and take it to Santa Fe when I go next weekend, or look for a chest in Santa Fe. I like the chest I found, but would change the knobs (don't think they are original). The price is reasonable, probably less than I'd spend in Santa Fe, and the size/style are good. Decisions, decisions. This weekend I'm taking Mr. B (also known sometimes as Mr. Grumpy when it comes to spending money) to see the chest and get his opinion.

Today I'm creating a clean house ... again! Fridays and the dreaded house cleaning chores come quickly each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment