Sunday, October 2, 2011

October 2, 2011

Before I start sewing, maybe I should
do a bit of organizing. Or maybe not.
Here we are, racing towards the holidays. While in Round Top with Mitzie on Thursday, she bought bunches of beautiful silk flowers to make wreaths for her double doors. Yesterday when I was volunteering at the fall festival, hay and pumpkins were everywhere. These visual inspirations combined with the cool(er) weather we're enjoying in Houston make me want to create.

Both my mother and wonderful grandmother Nannu were seamstresses who made the majority of my clothes, including formals, until I went to college. I must have been a sophomore in high school when I showed Mother a magazine ad of a girl in a bright green corduroy skirt with a white button-down shirt and knee socks. In the next couple of days she recreated the skirt for me. I couldn't wait to wear it, but Mother – always the practical one – told me I couldn't wear it until the high for the day was below 80 degrees. It was at least six weeks before I proudly donned the skirt, white shirt and knee socks for school. I felt so stylish and probably strutted to the corner bus stop.

Today I'm creating invoices for work I completed during September. Then I'm going upstairs above the garage to my crafting area to create something stylish. Wonder if I have any bright green fabric I can use on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment