Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 2, 2013

It was literally freezing in Santa Fe this morning when I took the babies out for their walk. Rose was really frisky. She ran out and did what she needed to do and then came back in to get one of her toys for me. Her little nubbly tail was going crazy. Even Roz must have been cold because she was fast this morning instead of taking her usual slow-paced time. We came back in the casita and all crawled in bed. I didn't even take my jacket off.

Heavy quilts gone from master bedroom even though
there is a freeze warning tonight. But it will be much warmer
when I come back at the end of June.
When I was in corporate communications, we would have an annual or sometimes more often review of the outside advertising agency-of-record. I remember one year a really large agency in Houston was presenting new concepts to us for an advertising campaign. As usual, there were several men and one woman who arrived to present their agency's recommendations. The woman had a terrible cold and couldn't stop sneezing, coughing, clearing her throat, and blowing her nose. She also sounded terrible, but was giving her part of the presentation all she had. After the presentation was over, everyone from the company ran to the restrooms to wash our hands and get rid of all the woman's cold germs. Later we reconvened and discussed how sorry we felt for the woman because she was so ill. And we laughed at what a bad idea it was for her to present, considering her health. Fast forward 20 years. I still know the woman and every time I see her I think about that incident and wonder why she took part in the presentation when she was obviously so ill. This incident has really been on my mind since I have been in Santa Fe wanting to show my up-cycled tin jewelry to store owners, but not wanting to be ill when I went. Nobody want's someone else's germs. But time was running out because today was my last full day in Santa Fe.

Today I'm creating time to show my jewelry, and tomorrow I'll begin limping back to Houston after being rejected by every shop owner who saw my jewelry. The jewelry is so popular in Houston, but I'm sad to say I got nowhere in Santa Fe. I'm not convinced that everyone in Santa Fe wants Southwestern, Native American or cowgirl jewelry. There's a market here for my up-cycled jewelry. My job this summer will be to find a shop owner who sells to my market.

No comments:

Post a Comment