Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 17, 2012

An early birthday present to me.
Like most people I know, I'm thinking about my grandfather and father today, especially since I'm making one of their favorite food groups for dinner: homemade ice cream. When I recently made ice cream for a family reunion, everyone remembered my grandmother and mother making ice cream, especially at my grandparents' home in Bryan, TX. As was the tradition, the ladies mixed the ice cream in the kitchen and loaded it into the canister. Then there was the call for Truett or Truett (my grandfather and father had the same first name). It was their job to put the canister into the wooden barrel, add the ice and rock salt, and then start the hand cranking process. After awhile the younger girls were called into play to sit of the ice cream maker and hold the top down. It was a very "cool" job, literally.

Well, I have moved into the 21st Century. Yesterday I went to William Sonoma and bought myself a birthday present: a Cuisinart ice cream maker. My cousin has one and it seemed so easy to use. No ice. No rock salt. Just pour the liquid into the canister, close the lid, and plug the machine into the wall. I can't wait to give it a "spin."

Today I'm creating homemade ice cream. Later today we're headed to #1 son-in-law Nick's grandmother's home for a combining of all the Dad's for dinner. In the meantime, Happy Father's Day to Truett Bryan Akin, Sr. (Aug. 15, 1906 - Feb. 8, 1980), Truett Bryan Akin, Jr. (Aug. 4, 1929 - March 27, 2007). I miss you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment