Monday, June 6, 2011

June 6, 2011

Today in 1944,  the D-Day invasion of Europe took place on the beaches of Normandy, France. An estimated 400,000 Allied American, British and Canadian troops were involved. I saw "Saving Private Ryan" with Mr. B and his war-movie buddy Simon and Simon's wife, Linda. While the gentlemen loved the film, Linda and I cringed through at least the first 25-30 minutes of the movie, which depicted the troops landing on the beaches of Normandy. Very disturbing to watch! I don't think I could have jumped into the water and rushed to the beach. Thank goodness there were brave men who were involved in the liberation of Western Europe. 


Years later, Simon went to Normandy. He told us it was one of the most emotional sights he had ever seen with all the white crosses on the graves of the men who lost their lives. Mr. B and I went to Paris once and I'd like to go back to France to visit the Champagne region. I know that if we go to France we'll have to go to Normandy.


Today I'm creating a new type of bag. I want to make some messenger bags out of linen. I've seen some where the linen has been distressed. I want to try making one.

No comments:

Post a Comment