Saturday, June 25, 2011

June 25, 2011

Funeral services for Mr. B's mom start at 11 a.m. today. My alarm barks at 4 a.m. so I can hit the floor early to finish preparing the house and making salads and sugar cookies for the lunch Mr. B and I will host after the services. Mr. B has done his part by grilling pork tenderloins last night. Even though they've been wrapped in the refrigerator all night, the charcoaled scent lingers in the house.

At 6:30 a.m., I'm pleased with my progress, that is until I slice off the tip of my pinky while chopping squash for the green salad. My latest action was not on the to-do list for this morning, so I wrap  paper towels around the finger, thinking it will stop bleeding at any moment. After 45 minutes of nonstop heavy bleeding, Mr. B insists I go to the emergency room and his buddy Keith arrives to take me. Needless to say, a trip to the emergency room wasn't on my list for today, either. 

Arriving at St. Luke's Emergency Center, I'm pleading with everyone who will listen that I must leave there no later than 9:30 a.m. I've got to get home in time to dress and attend the funeral. Amazingly, they accommodate me! The bleeding is stopped, my wound is cleaned and dressed (no stitches required because there's no skin left), and I'm home just as the pain meds kick in. The rest of the day is mostly a blur, except I did warn people to beware of the squash. Thank goodness for the love of friends and family (Kendall, Evan, Nick, Kelly M., Paula, Sandy, Dave and Kelly S.) who sprang into action to make the luncheon for 50 or so guests a success. 

Today I'm creating a blog while high on pain medication. Typing with my left hand and only the index finger of my right hand while holding my pinky upright isn't easy. But the pain meds are good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment