Saturday, June 4, 2011

June 4, 2011

At 6'2", my father was a tall man who suffered extreme growing pains during his teen years. In high school he ran track and played basketball, but at night the aching in his body would often keep him awake. He said his mother would put a stool in his bed to prop up his legs. Having his legs propped up and his mother rubbing his calves and arms helped him push through the pain. This sounds strange to me because I never experienced growth spurts.

Time to turn her dreams into reality!
What isn't strange to me is the growing pains Evan is experiencing, and I wish there was something to prop up her and relieve her aching. Like Evan, I dropped out of college and wasn't able to get the best jobs because I didn't have a college degree. I was age 26 and married when I went back to college. It took me three years of night school and summer school to complete my degree. I worked full-time and even went to school when I was pregnant with Kendall. After Kendall was born, whatever I was reading for classes was her bedtime story. I was enormously proud of myself when I graduated in August 1981, from the University of Houston.

I know Evan's pain of not being able to get a good job because she doesn't have a degree, and wish I could do something to help her, as my grandmother helped my father. I wish it was comforting for her to know that other people have experienced what she is going through.

As a curly red-headed girl with big blue eyes and freckles used to say when she got frustrated, "It's just not fair." No, Sweetness, life isn't always fair or easy. Life is full of growth opportunities. Throughout your life you'll keep growing and being frustrated and challenged. But there will be better times when you experience enormous pride because you were able to push through the pain, grow and achieve your goals. It's OK to be frustrated, but never give up! You'll make it back to college, graduate and find a rewarding career. In the meantime, there's a job for your quirky self out there. And whoever hires you will be lucky to have you.

Today I'm creating a heart-felt message to my youngest daughter, trying to support her through growing pains.

No comments:

Post a Comment