Tuesday, December 18, 2012

December 18, 2012

Gifts wrapped for teens in a residential treatment program.  
I've spent most of the afternoon wrapping presents. None of the presents I've wrapped and decorated are for my family or friends, but for adolescents, ages 12-17 years, in a residential treatment program in Houston. These teens have psychological, emotional, and/or substance abuse disorders that impair their behavioral functioning and adversely impact their everyday home, school and community environments. The center was founded by two friends and they do such a great job with the adolescents. I couldn't physically go shopping for items, so I donated money, provided the wrapping paper and ribbons, and spent a lovely afternoon wrapping packages.

Tonight Mr. B and I are having dinner with our friend Joe who moved to Orange County several years ago. He usually comes to Houston twice a year on his way to Beaumont to visit his family. We eat good Mexican food (something he can't get in Orange County), and I laugh and laugh at the stories Joe tells about his family. Chalk this one up as a fun and rewarding day.

Today I'm creating patterns for pillows. I still need to make more burlap pillows before Christmas. I also need to see what sort of totes I have at the house that I can donate to the center. One of the activities that the girls enjoy is knitting. I've made several totes that would be perfect for holding knitting supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment