Sunday, December 16, 2012

December 16, 2012

The handsome Mr. (Johnny) Cash – the dog
in black – at last night's party.
My mother died on Monday, Nov. 25, 2001, and was buried the following Saturday morning. Although she had been in declining health for several years, her death was totally unexpected, and my family wondered if we had done everything possible for her. Mr. B and I were invited to a dinner party that took place two weeks after Mother's funeral. I attended the party, but felt guilty about going and laughing so shortly after Mother's death.

Last night as Mr. B and I were getting ready to go to a Christmas party at some friends' home, I had the same guilty feelings as I had when attending the dinner party so shortly after my Mother's death. Was it insensitive to go out for a good time in the wake of a horrific national tragedy? No, but it is time to do something to stop the violence. We need gun control. No civilian needs to own a high-powered rifle as the shooter used in Newtown. But gun control is only part of the problem. It’s also time to talk about mental illness. What can be done to identify and help the young men who are behind the shootings?

Today I'm creating pillows. I've promised several for Christmas, so I better get working on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment